Ryan has been involved in athletics and training since childhood. He started playing traditional sports like baseball and basketball until he discovered his passion for martial arts when he was 12 years old. He studied Tae Kwon Do and Karate throughout his teenage years, gaining a black belt in the latter by the time he was 18. During his days at UW Madison he would study other arts: Aikido, Kendo and Ninjitsu, but his passion was reignited when he was introduced to Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai.
After graduating, he would later study western boxing and wrestling. In 1997, he competed in his first UFC-style competition and took his division, winning three fights in the same day. Ryan had his last fight in 2001 and maintained a winning record during those years. Knee problems later hindered his efforts to reenter the sport. In 2002, a friend suggested he turn to Olympic Weightlifting to stay in shape. A cursory internet search on the subject led him to CrossFit and he was soon hooked, both to the workouts and to the web community.
- Head Strength and Conditioning Coordinator for Dominican High School (2009-present)
- Fitness Coach to WCTC's Fire Health and Safety Class (2008-present)
- Author of fitness related articles in both CrossFit Kids Magazine and the Performance Menu online magazines (2008-present)
- Current Olympic Lifting competitor (Masters Division)
- Former NHB fighter with winning record
- CrossFit Level I Trainer
- USA Weightlifting Level 1 Sports Performance Coach
- CrossFit Powerlifting Certification (2011)
- CrossFit Football Certification (2011)
- CrossFit Movement and Mobility Certification (2010)
- CrossFit Olympic Lifting Certification (2009)
- CrossFit Running/Endurance Level I Trainer (2008)
- Member of CrossFit Level 1 Coaching Staff (2007-2008)
- Appointed CrossFit Message Board Moderator (2004)
- Chosen by CrossFit HQ to present CrossFit nationwide (2006)
- USAW Club Coach (2006)
- 2 Years Gymnastics Coaching Experience
- Karate Black Belt
- Competitive Swimmer/Diver (High School)
Ryan’s main goal is to use the tools he has learned to empower the lives of others, whether it be in their daily lives around the house, on the battlefields of foreign lands, in our city streets upholding the law, or in the pursuit of victory in athletic competition. He works with a broad range of clients including UFC/MMA fighters, firefighters/fire science students, soldiers, law-enforcement personnel, high school/collegiate athletes, children and grandparents. Outside of his duties as CrossFit Milwaukee's owner/head trainer, he currently serves as Dominican High School's head strength and conditioning coordinator.